Hey Bruins! Although all of our lives may look a little different for this year’s True Bruin Virtual 5K, we at UCLA Staff Assembly believe that, at a time like this, when so many events are being canceled and the campus is physically apart, our 7th Annual True Bruin Virtual 5K represents an important opportunity for the campus community to feel unified through showing our True Bruin spirit while apart!
Important COVID Information
UCLA Staff Assembly invites you to participate this year, without any risk of compromising the health or safety of anyone. Luckily, our 5K event has been virtual for some time now! Our Bruin family – staff, family, friends, alumni, faculty, students, parents and more – are all welcome to participate while diligently following all CDC and other health and safety guidelines prescribed by UCLA, LADPH, the State of California Safer at Home order and any other governance in the community in which you reside.
How to Participate
This year, things have changed a bit so listen up, Bruins! Here are the steps you’ll need to take to participate in this year’s True Bruin Virtual 5K:
- We aren’t collecting a registration fee this year. Though we have traditionally used this opportunity to raise funds for our annual Staff Scholarship and Awards program, we’ve decided that the main purpose of our Virtual 5K this year is to bring the Bruin community, specifically our valued UCLA Staff, together while we are forced to be physically apart. If you would still like to make a donation to our Staff Scholarship and Awards program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always accepting donations for UCLA Staff Assembly Staff Scholarships. This year, however, we are asking Virtual 5K registrants to consider a small donation to the #TeamLA UCLA Spark fundraising effort to deliver gift cards to health professionals on the COVID front lines.
- Make a donation of any amount to support our frontline UCLA Health colleagues. To be eligible for the True Bruin Virtual 5K prizes and award categories, we are asking all participants to make a donation of any amount to the #TeamLA UCLA Health Gift Card Drive to provide gift cards to health professionals on the COVID-19 front lines. We recommend a gift of $25 as it would have been our original V5K registration fee and currently funds a full gift card. Donate in any amount to the #TeamLA Spark campaign, screenshot your donation to submit it at Step 4 and become eligible for our prizes.
- Go True Bruin Go! Now it’s time for your 5K! You can run/jog/walk (bike, skateboard, rollerblade – get creative!) your 5K anywhere you’d like – in your neighborhood, on your favorite local trail, or more. Please remember to keep in mind physical distancing guidelines (at least 6 feet apart from those not in your immediate living quarters) and other Safer at Home restrictions. Your physical and mental health is strengthened by physical exercise and is encouraged by city and state officials, provided you keep Safer at Home guidelines in mind at all times.
- You did it! Now document it! Collect the screenshot for your donation and a screenshot of your running time from your preferred running app. Navigate to this MyUCLA link and provide us with: (1) a screenshot of your donation, (2) your walk/run details and (3) some basic demographic and contact info. You can also select the categories of awards you would like to be considered for, like most creative route, fastest time, most exotic location, etc. Please remember to submit the total time it took for you to complete your 5K (and not any other metric or measurement). i.e. 30 minutes 35 seconds and not 9 minutes/mile
- Time to celebrate!! Though these are uncertain times and we are not sure when we’ll be back to our regular UCLA workday, we have plenty of great ideas in mind to celebrate YOU. Stay tuned for more info as we finalize details. If you have thoughts on creative prizes or other forms of recognition for our True Bruin Virtual 5K All Stars, send them to us via social media (@UCLASA) or email us at email@example.com.