For general updates on UCLA activities related to covid-19, visit https://covid-19.ucla.edu/
We also encourage the installation of the newly developed UCLA’s covid-notify app on your mobile devices. For more information, visit https://covid-19.ucla.edu/covid-notify/
Dear UCLA Staff and Friends,
I know that you have been bombarded with campus updates, messages from concerned students and colleagues, while coming up with plans to move yourself, your co-workers, and your teams to remote working, often for the first time. To say these times are unprecedented is an understatement. However, it is in these times when UCLA staff have an opportunity to once again demonstrate our dedication and commitment to the campus and its entire community. Our excellence is not contingent upon our circumstances.
As a reminder, below are a few resources and programs that are available to us. Have ideas of other programs we should have or that you could use during this time? Let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a message via social media!
True Bruin Virtual 5K
Our 7th Annual True Bruin Virtual 5K will continue as planned, beginning April 20th. This event is open to everyone, family and friends included! Event details to follow.
Staff Assembly will be planning several virtual “happy hours” and Learn-at-Lunches.
- Friday, April 3 at noon: Join our Virtual Afts & Crafts Party
Link to join: https://ucla.zoom.us/j/642725733 (password: getcrafty)
- Please check the our website and social media for more details on how to find out what shows, arts & crafts projects, e-learning, books and more that other UCLA Staff are engaging with.
- We are working hard to put together a go-to webpage on our Staff Assembly website for UCLA Staff to find all of the resources, updates and more provided during this time.
- i.e. Here is Passion Planner’s list of resources that UCLA Staff can use and share
Some helpful tips re: mental health and social well-being from our very own AVP Wendy Slusser from the Semel Health Campus Initiative Center include:
- Social distancing does not mean social isolation. Find ways to stay connected because it is important to know that you are not alone. Think of as physical distancing (at least 6 feet apart) and not necessarily social distancing.
- Do things that give you purpose and meaning. Helping others is a gift, and it is good for your own well-being. Circle back on hobbies or interests that bring you joy.
- Take care of your body by eating healthy meals, exercising, getting at least seven hours of sleep a night and limiting your alcohol consumption can help your immune system.
- UCLA Staff and Faculty Counseling Center:
- FAQs for UCLA Employees:
- Availability of Campus Services During Safer at Home Orders:
- Campus Human Resources Covid-19 FAQs:
I would also like to take this opportunity to recognize our UCLA Senior Leadership for the letter of appreciation to UCLA Staff that was received last week. We are a key part to the success of UCLA. While the campus has been very busy making sure student and faculty are ready as we begin Spring Quarter 2020 virtually, it is only right to also acknowledge the continuous hard work of UCLA Staff.
In closing, I’d like to share two thoughts:
First, in turbulent times like this, the right answers are not always offered with the speed or clarity that we are used to. This can apply not only to ourselves but also to those with whom we interact with each day. Until the time comes where we can resume normalcy, my hope is that we all show a bit more grace, patience and compassion towards each other and ourselves. And communicate what you’re feeling!
Secondly, in the wise words of Coach John Wooden, “Make each day your masterpiece.” While UCLA Staff have historically demonstrated a capacity for excellence, the past few weeks have seen an unprecedented level of mobilization and adaptation to circumstances. I am beyond proud of what staff have done to ensure that the University continues to move forward in the face of uncertainty. I am confident in the ability of our UCLA community to continue being resilient and rise above.
Thank you for all you have done and continue to do for our campus. It doesn’t go unnoticed.
UCLA Staff Assembly